1. Refurbishment of Small Animal Clinic Kennels and Cattery by Royal Canin.
ROYAL CANIN, which is a pet feed company that manufactured dog and cat feed with breed-specific nutritional requirements. The company is involved in research that promotes diet and nutrition as a way of managing dogs and cats to promote health and minimize use of antibiotics.
Through Tran Duy-Kim (Business Development Manager – Sub-Saharan African Markets) and Dr. Jeanne Mwakugu (a veterinarian graduated from University of Nairobi) with the networking by Dr. Lilyan Mathai and pursuit by the Chairman of the Department, Prof. James Nguhiu-Mwangi, ROYAL CANIN funded the entire cost of refurbishment of Small Animal Kennels, Cattery and the kitchen. The total funding was $ 14,178 (approximately KES 1,420,000). This included ceramic tiling, repainting work, repair of all defective metal work (doors and grills), wooden doors, glass louvres and insect-proof mesh/wire gauze; extension of the concrete work on the cattery for sun-busking space with introduction of translucent sheet roofing, classic wooden cat cages, padding, litter boxes, play implements; and dog baskets/beds with metallic base and woven rattan and sponged fabric. The project was started in October 2020, completed and commissioned on February 18, 2021 by the Principal CAVS, Prof. Rose Nyikal in the presence of the ROYAL CANIN team who handed over the fully furnished kennels and cattery.
2. Mentorship, Guest Lectures and other provisions for students:
- ROYAL CANIN continuous dog and cat nutrition lecture and mentorship sessions: these sessions have been consistently held through a signed collaboration and partnership with ROYAL CANIN from January 2020 to the current period both physically and virtually. The sessions were initially held with the 4th year veterinary class every Wednesday afternoon and continued later with the same class in 5th year physically. The main Mentor and Guest Lecturer has been Dr. Jeanne Mwakugu who has occasionally been accompanied by Duy-Kim and other staff of the company.
ROYAL CANIN team and the Chairman of the Department.
Dr. Jeanne Mwakugu of Royal Canin giving an Guest Lecture and Mentorship
- Donation and Issuance of Scrub Suits to 5th year Veterinary Students:
The veterinary alumni of 1989 from the veterinary class that graduated in 1989, have consistently donated scrub suits to be used for veterinary work by the final year veterinary students during their clinical practical operations. The former Chairman of the Department, Prof. Daniel Gakuya who is one of this alumni, handed the scrub suits to the current Chairman of the Department on January 5, 2021 to be issued to the final year veterinary class of 2020/2021. These were issued to the students during a guest lecture on March 4, 2021 by Dr. John Muthee on behalf of his classmates of 1989 after being requested by the Chairman of the Department to preside over that ceremony.
Prof. Gakuya handing over the scrub suits to the Chairman of Department.
3. Postgraduate completions and graduation 2019/2020